Michael Musgrave, CMI
ALLIN Home Inspections, Inc.
Sterling, IL 61081
THERMAL IMAGING IS INCLUDED WITH EVERY HOME INSPECTION PERFORMED BY ALLIN HOME INSPECTIONS, INC.
It is important that when hiring a home inspector, who also does thermal imaging, that they have been properly trained and that they are certified for the use of the imager. Inspectors buy an infrared camera, but never take building science or certification training courses.
I would like to clear up some of the common myths of a thermal imaging cameras:
- Thermal imaging (cameras) DO NOT see through walls. Unlike what you may have seen in movies, the camera is very sensitive and can distinguish very minor differences in surface temperatures and cannot see through solid materials.
- Thermal imaging only sees the difference in temperatures. Just because an area appears cold Does Not mean that the area is wet, it could just be cold. That is why you need an inspector that is certified to check out the area(s) with other tools, such as a good deep probing moisture meter.
- Certification and training is very important. Inspectors can buy cheap thermal imagers for their cell phone. These toys may be cool but are not professional grade thermal imagers. False positives are just as damaging as missing a real problem.
Professional home inspectors, with a thermal imaging camera in their tool bag and properly trained and certified in its use, can find problems with a house that a normal home inspector cannot. These problems can include:
- Water intrusion through exterior coverings.
- Missing, improperly installed or settled insulation.
- Water leaks around doors and windows.
- Plumbing leaks inside the house. i.e.; leaking pipes, toilets that are not seated properly, leaky bathtubs and shower pans and condensation from water pipes.
- HVAC duct work that has not been properly insulated and sealed and/or that are causing condensation dripping in attics, crawlspaces or finished basements.
- Insufficient or improperly installed insulation in walls and ceilings.
- Leaking roofs, skylights, roof vent piping and roof vents.
- Electrical system “HOT” connections, aging overheating circuit breakers, aging electrical receptacles and loose wiring.
Here we see an example of water intrusion from badly installed siding and flashing on the house’s exterior, but seen from the inside of the house using thermal imaging during a home inspection. Water intrusion is not always easy to diagnose, especially because a home inspection is supposed to be non-invasive. Because water travels in so many ways (dripping, wicking, running, evaporation, condensation, etc) it is not easy to find the source.
“I am very impressed by this company. The inspection was thorough and organized, with clear instructions on how to keep my new house maintained. The company gave us a packet full of information at the end of the inspection, and I appreciated the detailed and timely emails. Our inspector was very respectful and made me feel like I could ask questions while he worked. Thank you for a great experience!” – Review of ALLIN Home Inspections, Inc. By Ed.U Educational Consulting
Water intrusion is a common problem, and the source cannot, usually, be found without thermal imaging and an experienced, professional inspector.
If you want to buy a new home, conduct an infrared home inspection first. It will help you discover some of the hidden problems that might be present in that home. You can enjoy peace of mind when you schedule with ALLIN Home inspections, Inc., where an Infrared Inspection included.
Our 5 Star Home inspection Review
ALLIN Home Inspections, Inc. provides Buyer Inspection, Certified Move In Ready Inspection, Radon Residential Inspection, Radon Commercial Inspection and Drone Usage in Rochelle, Dekalb, Moline, Rock Island, Byron, Oregon, Princeton, Sycamore, Dixon, Sterling (ILLINOIS) Clinton, Davenport, Princeton, Bettendorf, (IOWA) and surrounding areas.
When you or someone you know needs the services of a quality home inspection company, we would truly appreciate you thinking of us.
Scheduling Is Available Right From Our Website 24/7 or Call Our Office Now (877) 545-6639